Feb 11, 2012

My Aunt Whitney (Rest in Peace Whitney Houston)

(1963-2012)
Super Bowl XXV in Tampa, FL was my moment I had with Whitney Houston. It was 1991 and I was 3 years old when I heard a her sing, "O! say can you see by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?"
Her voice intertwining with the orchestra playing behind her, sounded just like the right amount of seasoning done to a good fulfilling meal. If it wasn't for my aunt Tani, I wouldn't know anything about  wanting to sing or sound like Whitney Houston. 
(THE MOMENT)

I didn't want to believe it when I heard it, either. She was only 48 years young and getting ready to make her comeback not only in music, but in film as well! The remake of the 1976 film, Sparkle, would've been another comeback for Aunt Whit since The Preacher's Wife. Whitney Houston was the woman that every girl wanted to be. She was the next door diva that made you want to have fun, dress up, and be happy. We love all parts of Whitney Houston and always will! My other favorite moments with her was the behind scenes of her "regular" life, Bobbi Kristina, and her career!

Whitney Houston was such a down to earth person in front of the camera, in my opinion. I could just imagine what it would be like to go to a backyard bbq with her! She would probably be the singing aunt that would calm the family down on a full stomach.
  (Sorry, I just went in.)
Her interviews taught you so much about the celebrity lifestyle and how effective it could be on your life. She went from being called a lesbian to a whore, being criticized about her music only appealing to white people, and drug overdosing on diet pills.
One thing I know for sure, is that none of the people who said these things about her would not have the courage or sanity to keep going, keep singing, and remain poise through it all.  
She will always be loved. 
Peace Out, Whitney Houston.

No comments: