Jul 9, 2009

Rachel Beau's MISS NAPPY HAPPY OF THE WEEK- Dori T.

Hello Bloggers!!...This week's "Miss Happy Nappy" is Dori T. a 21 year old Tennessee native. She's also a college student, musician, and a Girl Gone Natural!! I had the pleasure of interviewing her about she and her hair!! Take a look!!


1. How long have you been natural?
Well, I got my last perm in the summer of 2007 and have been gradually cutting it little by little ever since. I guess now I'm officially fully natural even though I still have my one little section that wont curl up =(

2. What made you want to go natural?
Well, the biggest thing was me hating permed hair maintenance. Wrapping every night, flat-ironing every day and especially perms! I hated paying $60-$75 to get them done every 4-6 weeks or finding a friend to do them for the low, lol. Also, at the time, I was starting to experiment with hair color and you really can't have both so I decided to let my perm go in order to keep coloring. Another big decider was the fact that I started hanging out with a lot of natural girls and their hair was so gorgeous and low maintenance so I decided hey, this might be worth trying. And it was!

3. If your style could be a piece of fruit, what fruit would it be and why?
Hmm, that's a good question...lol. Well the first fruit that popped in my mind was a grape cause grapes are really versatile...They can be room temp, refrigerated, frozen (my fave), you can dry em up and make raisins, you can squish em and make juice or wine, etc, but in any form, it's still a grape. I admit, my style tends to be all over the place; I think I switch up styles every 2 weeks but it's always still me...There's always a common thread if you will, from one phase to the next...It's always distinctlively Dori!

4. If your hair could be any song, what song would it be and why?
I had to peruse through my iTunes for this one. I choose You Learn by Alanis Morissette. I've made a lot of poor choices in the past when it comes to my hair from horrible cuts to letting a non-professional bleach my hair. Luckily, it's just hair and it grows back but I definitely learned from all of those mistakes. Natural hair in itself is an ongoing learning process because with no two textures of hair being exactly alike so what works for Homegirl A may not work for Homegirl B. You have to test and try so many different products and regimens for natural hair. You truly live and learn with hair.

5. What's your favorite brand of make-up?
Well MAc is the only foundation I use mainly because I can go and they can find my exact shade and every now and then I may spluge on some eyeshadow. I also discovered a must-have eyeshadow base from Urban Decay called Eyeshadow Primer Potion which brings out any eyeshadow and makes it pop. But honestly, most of my makeup is Rimmel London...Eyeshadow, Lipstick, Mascara. They make really good products in lots of shades and you can find it anywhere!

6. If going natural changed anything in your life, what was/is it?
Well, it really made me value "natural" beauty in myself. I mean, it's easy to wake up every morning and throw on some long and Beyonce weave or unwrap your silky smooth hair and feel beautiful but it's a totally different feeling to look in the mirror with a nappy bush on the top of your head and say, "Wow, I'm hot!" It also feels good to be a different kind of different. A lot of times when I see other naturals out and about we exchange a smile, kinda like a secret code that says "Hey, you're like me!" Oh, and contrary to popular belief, guys love natural hair!!!lol

FIND DORI:

No comments: